It turns a big headache for the individuals who are lactose intolerant to seek alternatives to cooking with milk and milk products which trigger the allergy.
The inability in some people to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and to some extents in dairy products causing side effects is known as Lactose intolerance. For those, who are lactose intolerant it becomes a huge problem to cook without milk so as to not suffer side effects of the allergy.
Here are some alternatives to milk and milk products which are the main trouble makers. Use these while cooking and enjoy the flavours
- Replace milk with almond milk or coconut milk. The nutty flavor is a nice addition for baking and sweet foods.
- Use coconut milk, either fresh or canned, in savory recipes. With its delicate sweet flavour it works great in most of the recipes.
- You also have the option of using unsweetened – plain, not flavoured soymilk. However, soymilk doesn’t work for oatmeal.
- Extra-firm tofu can be a substitute to paneer while cooking Indian dishes. It may not taste as good initially, but once you develop the taste for it you will like it too. Soft tofu can be whipped into salad dressings instead of using yogurt or sour cream. Add few drops of lime juice to get a sour taste.
- Try using miso in place of a grated cheese to thicken a sauce. It is a bit of experimentation and it is definitely going
to be different.
- Tahini paste whisked with a little water makes for a creamy thick sauce and makes for a nice creamy salad dressing.
- Cashew cream too is a great option. Soak some cashews overnight to soften them and blend them with as much water as needed to get the desired consistency.